Thursday, September 17, 2015

Introduction to my Blog about Health Literacy in the Aging Population

Have you ever gone to a doctor’s appointment and they drew blood, performed scans and then gave you the results as if you were a nurse or a doctor and understood everything that they said? I think that we all have been there. Fortunately for myself, I have a smartphone and could go back out to my car in the parking lot and could look up that information on resources such as Google. But wh does this even have to happen? Why don’t we ask more questions while the doctor is right there? Is the “white coat syndrome” real?
I am one of the lucky ones. I grew up with a computer in the house and at my school that I accessed almost every day. I grew up in a world where information was at my fingertips and all I had to do was take the time to find the answer I was looking for. I am also lucky because my mom is a Physician Assistant who knows a lot about medical information and I could always has her for help and she would explain things to be in a way that I could understand. Another reason I am lucky is because I have always had access to healthcare and have always had an interest in medicine.
But what about what seems like the other 99.9% of the world that wasn’t as lucky as I have been to have a good understanding of health literacy. Health literacy, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services means “the degree to which individuals have the capacity to obtain, process, and understand basic health information and services needed to make appropriate health decisions.” Health literacy is huge! We can read articles, hear news stories on TV or radio, and even go to doctor’s offices and hear all types of medical information, but a lot of people don’t even understand what some of those words mean. In this blog, I want to focus on health literacy of the geriatric population.
As a future nurse, I find it extremely critical that my patients understand what I am saying to them as it is one of my primary duties to educate the patients about their health, their procedures, and their medications. In 2003, the Federal government did a study about all things involving the aging population and health literacy was a major topic in this study. As per the chart below, provided by the Federal Interagency Forum on Aging Related Statistics, “twelve percent of people age 50-64 have a proficient knowledge of health literacy”. The chart also shows that by ages 75 and older, there is only one percent of that population age range that has proficient health literacy.
This chart is outstanding to me. It really makes me want to put some thought and effort into myself and my colleagues to make sure that when we talk to our patients, all of their questions are answered. I never want me patients to leave my clinic or my hospital floor and be confused about what was just discussed. Health is necessary to living a longer and fuller life, so being able to understand what their healthcare team is educating them about, should be at the top of the list of importance. And that is why I want to write this blog. I want to inform other healthcare workers about the need for them to understand that the aging population and that they may not totally understand us when we are educating them about healthcare topics.



Resources:
Older Americans 2008: Key Indicators of Well-Being. (n.d.). Retrieved September 17, 2015, from
                http://www.agingstats.gov/Main_Site/Data/2008_Documents/Special_Feature.aspx

Quick Guide to Health Literacy and Older Adults - Health Literacy and Older Adults. (n.d.). 
Retrieved September 17, 2015, from 
http://health.gov/communication/literacy/olderadults/literacy.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment